For some reason this was marked as only “mostly true” though.
For those who aren’t aware, some doctors have been claiming that guns should be removed from the home because of the higher likely hood of being injured in an accident. When one actually inspects the numbers you are more likely to die at the hands of your physician due to an accident than you are because of a firearm.
Politifact stated this was only mostly true, and from examining their reasoning it’s because of the number of deaths by suicide and murders. The claim from doctors though pertains to accidents, and this statement is a rebuttal directly at doctors. Not to mention the fact though that the number of deaths caused by those two items, would just be replaced by alternative tools. CO2 in the garage, and a baseball bat both work to replace the firearm in the arena of suicides and murder.
Let’s play the substitution game:
- You are more likely to be attacked by a toaster if you have one in your house.
- You are more likely to suffer an electric shock if you have electricity wired to your house.
- If you ride in a car, you’re more likely to die in an auto wreck.
You can’t play the statistic game by saying because you have X it is more likely, that’s a given. If you go see a doctor you’re more likely to die because a medical mistake. There’s counters to each of the above:
- Without a doctor you’re more likely to die from a simple disease.
- Without a car you’re more likely to die in a bicycle/horse/(insert alternative transportation idea here) riding accident.
- Without electricity you’re more likely to die in a fire caused by your alternative heat source. Without a toaster, you wouldn’t have toast!
- Lastly, without a firearm, you are more likely to die at the hands of a criminal.
TMM is the owner, editor, and principal author at The Minuteman, a competitive shooter, and staff member for Boomershoot. Even in his free time he’s merging his love and knowledge of computers and technology with his love of firearms.
Many know his private name and information however due to the current political climate, many are distancing themselves due to the abandonment of Due Process.