Let’s compare and contrast the following two people, what they did, and the reactions by the American Media.
For those who don’t recognize the pictures, on the left we have former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, on the right we have Attorney General Eric Holder.
The significant similarities necessary for this discussion:
- Both are tied to the highest position within the Department of Justice.
- Both committed questionable acts while in that position.
- Both were disliked by large parts of the American people for their actions.
- Both acted in a manner with the express intent of undermining and destroying enumerated rights.
- Eric Holder’s decisions resulted in the deaths of both American and Mexican civilians.
- Eric Holder refused to process cases where the American public was intimidated from exercising their rights.
- Alberto Gonzales was forced to resign while Holder continues to retain his position.
- Eric Holder was found in contempt of congress. Eric Holder has not been arrested despite the ability for congress to do so.
- The Congressional “no-confidence” vote against Gonzales did not succeed.
- Alberto Gonzales was appointed by President George Bush.
- Eric Holder was appointed by President Barack Obama.
For those who may not remember the details. Here is the quick rundown of the two big scandals under Holder.
The details you more likely need a reminder of is the incidents involving Alberto Gonzales
- Dismissal of US attorneys
- Comments regarding the American public not having a constitutional right to the writ of habeas corpus.
- Support of the NSA warrantless surveillance
So while the comments and behavior of Gonzales was despicable and worthy of question, why has AG Holder been allowed to remain? There is a man responsible for creating programs with the express purpose of illegally undermining a constitutional right. Programs that resulted in the deaths of members of the public. A man who has been found in contempt of congress, yet no one seems to have the balls to actually fire him.
Ultimately the biggest difference between these two is the men who were responsible for appointing them. Because honestly that’s the only reason Eric Holder has been able to continue in his position. Remember that the next time some tells you about how the media isn’t biased.
Barron is the owner, editor, and principal author at The Minuteman, a competitive shooter, and staff member for Boomershoot. Even in his free time he’s merging his love and knowledge of computers and technology with his love of firearms.
He has a BS in electrical engineering from Washington State University. Immediately after college he went into work on embedded software and hardware for use in critical infrastructure. This included cryptographic communications equipment as well as command and control devices that were using that communications equipment. Since then he’s worked on just about everything ranging from toys, phones, other critical infrastructure, and even desktop applications. Doing everything from hardware system design, to software architecture, to actually writing software that makes your athletic band do its thing.