Seriously folks. Now more than ever we need to ring the bell for freedom.
(Stolen from here)
Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
The full summary can be found here.
Now a couple observations, this is their current absolute wish list. This thing is so over the top to “garner compromise”. They shall receive none from me. Write, call, and show up. Seriously folks, you all can most certainly write. If you’re unsure what to write, Robb has a wonderful starting point.
Don’t just do this yourselves, get EVERYONE else you can to do it too. Do not just go quietly into the night, make your voice heard. Make them realize the beast that they want to tangle with. Make them understand that there will be no compromise from us on this subject. Know someone who just bought a new AR in the panic, get them to write in! I’ve heard many people lately bitch about it but not a one of them has bothered to write in and complain.
The NRA, like it or not, is the most effective and biggest legislative lobbyist we have on our side. Honestly they are the only one’s that we can effectively use against our enemy. If you doubt their ability, why do you think our opponents are so enthralled with attacking and attempting to discredit the NRA and its members? The one thing that bugs me more than anything though are the people who bitch about the direction of the organization but they do not get active themselves. As I have said already, “If you want to see the future, make it.” That does not happen by sitting on your ass and complaining on your blog or to your friends. It happens by going out and getting active, at least at the local level. Do you think the NRA would ignore a large section of it’s membership if that section actually stood up and said something? No, but that section has sat quite for so long they forget they’re there.
If you sit around and do not even bother to lift a finger in this fight and we loose, you have no one to blame but yourself.
TMM is the owner, editor, and principal author at The Minuteman, a competitive shooter, and staff member for Boomershoot. Even in his free time he’s merging his love and knowledge of computers and technology with his love of firearms.
Many know his private name and information however due to the current political climate, many are distancing themselves due to the abandonment of Due Process.